PETERSBURG-AK A Juneau organization hopes to do more improvement work on the historic Five Finger Lighthouse in Frederick Sound north of Petersburg. The lighthouse, still operational, was the first manned station completed in the state in 1902 and the last to be automated in 1984. In 1998 it became the property of the Juneau Lighthouse Association. That group last year finished up renovations on the interior and exterior of Five Finger light, paid for by a 2004 Save America’s Treasures grant of just under 200-thousand dollars. The association has applied for another grant to do further upgrades on the island and the site is closer to eventually opening to paying guests. Joe Viechnicki spoke with association president Jennifer Klein about the work completed in the past five years and other news from the lighthouse.
© Copyright, Narrows Broadcasting Corp.