Neighbors helped put out a fire in a generator shed on Kupreanof Island near Petersburg Tuesday night.
Petersburg Volunteer Fire Department spokesman David Berg could see flames from his house near Scow Bay across the Wrangell Narrows near a cabin around 7:30 Tuesday evening.
“(I’m) not sure exactly how close it was to the cabin but it was a woodshed with a generator in it,” Berg said Wednesday. “I suspect it wasn’t very far away. Not really sure exactly what happened. Something went on there, got hot, obviously in the generator that got it going. Fortunately there was somebody there and they were able to get enough hands and water on it, with fire extinguishers, to put it out. But I think the shed itself and the generator’s pretty full destroyed, certainly have to be a replacement going on there.”
Petersburg volunteers started to gather and loaded the harbor security boat but did not respond across the narrows once it was clear that Kupreanof residents were able to extinguish the blaze. Berg said no injuries were reported.